Shri. M.K. Raghavan, Member of Parliament, Kozhikode, belongs to the rare species of political leaders who toil hard among the rank and file of the party. He held various positions in the student organisation. Later, he was elevated to the youth organisation of his party where also, he held various positions both at the district and state level. After elevating to the party from the Youth Congress, he was actively involved in developing the party in north Kerala. His deep involvement with the rural areas through co-operative movements is highly appreciated.
His earlier career in co-operative sector
- 1982-85: Founder Manager, President, The Co-operative Arts & Science College, Madai, Kannur. Popularly known as “Madai College”, is the first of its kind in the co-operative sector in the country.
- 1982-85: Director, The Payyannur Co-operative Town Bank Ltd, Kannur.
- 1982-87: Director, Regional Agro Industrial Co-operative Ltd. (RAIDCO Ltd.), which is a pioneer in the field of agro industrial co-operatives in the state.
- 1992-97: Director, Khadi Workers Welfare Fund Board, which is a State Government undertaking.
- 1997-02: Chairman, The Taliparamba Co-operative Urban Bank Ltd.
- 2002-07: Vice President, Kerala State Co-operative Bank Ltd, which is the apex co-operative bank in the state.
- 2003-07: Director, The Kannur District Co-operative Bank Ltd.
In 2009, he contested to LokSabha from Kozhikode. He fought one of the toughest electoral battles and clinched the seat for the party. For the 2nd time he has elected with the votes more than that of his first time. As a Member of Parliament his hard work, dynamism, humility, accessibility, involvement in the issues, corruption and scandal free image, leadership qualities, reaching out the nook and corner of his domain have enticed the minds of the million people of his constituency. His parliamentary success includes:
- Announcing of the elevation of the Kozhikode railway station into a world class.
- The sanctioning of 120 Cr. PMSSY funds for Calicut Medical College.
- Establishment of NIRDESH a defence organisation.
- Doubling of dialysis facility at Calicut Medical College.
- Establishment of ESI Sub regional office for the convenience of people of Malabar region.
- Establishment of 44.5 Cr. Tertiary Cancer Care Centre (TCC) at Calicut Medical College.
- Establishment of 30 Cr. IMHANS, one and only institution for mental health research in Kerala.
- Establishment of 19.84 Cr. Composite Regional Centre (CRC), an institution working for the welfare of persons with disability. This is the 8th in India, first in south India, one and only such institution in Kerala.
- Permission for establishment of Kendriya Vidyalaya No:3 at Ulliyeri, a rural village of Calicut district , which is under process.
- Got permission for stand alone project of 6 lining of Kozhikode Bypass with an amount of 1700 Cr. This would be the first 6 lane bypass in Kerala.Tender has been awarded.
- Got permission for 4 lane connectivity of Beypore port with NH junction at Malaparamba under Sagarmala project with an amount of 400 Cr.
- Provided different types of developments for 3 backward Grama Panchayaths under SAGY, a rural development scheme of Members of Parliament.
- Finally he has successfully done fasting for the reinstatement of wide bodied aircraft from Calicut International Airport and takes high initiative to start more services of different operators, establishment of 3rd terminal, and reinstatement of Hajj Embarkation point at Calicut International Airport.